Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Voices

I made an observation in class the other day: that I try to make irregular verbs out of regular verbs in my head. I was folding laundry last week, and when I thought the word "folded" I abruptly asked myself, "or is it FELD?" We don't say holded - we say HELD. This has been bothering me lately, but my professor was far more interested in the fact that I have an internal conversation in my head.

Excuse me? You DON'T?!

I thought everyone talked to themselves in their heads. Sure, I've long accepted that they all don't think in complete scentences like I do (true statement), but we have to use words and language to think through certain things. It can't just be images and abstract things flying through the brain. I think it's the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis in linguistics that says you can't even develop abstract ideas like, say, justice or education without language.

And Americans are constantly reading. Reading advertisements, reading novels, reading "In case of emergency, use stairs". And you're telling me that your brain doesn't just keep going with the silent reading, even when there aren't words in front of you?

Ok, fair enough. Maybe I am strange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, if you're strange, then we're in it together. i have a CONSTANT inner monologue, and always in complete sentences. in fact, half the time i wish i could stfu already and enjoy some silence...!
i had no idea not everyone did that.