Thursday, February 7, 2008

Extended Mardi Gras

About a week before Ash Wednesday, I realized that I wanted to push my fasting goals to the extreme (ok, extreme for me). I knew I needed to give up sweets.

I have an enormous sweet tooth. I'm a slave to that small piece of chocolate after a meal, or any kind of sweetened baked good sitting in the kitchen. No matter what time of day. I've eaten pie for breakfast (and slightly ashamed to admit that). I usually shy away from giving up dietary things, choosing to go for something a bit more abstract, because I don't want it to become about losing weight or anything like that. But I knew this would be the best form of sacrifice for God. I want my spirit to be able to control my flesh.

The side effect of this decision was that I entered an Extended Mardi Gras, starting that day. If there was a sweet thing in sight, I went for it. No holds barred. My tongue wasn't very happy with me by Sunday - I can develop sore spots on my tongue when I eat too many sweets, which hurt when I eat more sweet things. This week-long indulgence in my future fast made me realize how bad I CAN be. I really pursued sugary things with intense ferver. From one extreme to the other - probably not the best decision.

I have moderated my fast by allowing myself one hot chocolate on Sundays. Sundays don't technically count in the numbering of Lent, because every Sunday is like a mini-Easter. We celebrate the resurrection of our Lord every week. I'm usually an advocate of the all-out fast, straight through. But in this case... give me a break, it's winter, and hot chocolate is always my drink of choice. Six out of seven days I will turn to tea instead.

Also, as it is impossible to cut all sweetness from your diet, I'm not counting fruit and honey in my fast (they're natural). Which means that I will be eating A LOT of raisins this Lent.

1 comment:

Tune said...

This post is awesome. Also, I read through "prayer: the great conversation..." by Peter Kreeft (I thought prayer for beginners is the same as this one, but apparently not) and Spe Salvi over the break, both of them are awesome!