Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wikipedia has failed me

Last week, a tree just outside of our street seemed to unroll long tendrils down to the ground in honor of spring. Upon closer inspection, however, these were thin, gossamer threads with worm larvae hanging on in the breeze. I wish I had taken a picture, because I cannot find anything comparable on Google images. I would be close to home, see someone stop, take a closer look, then back away in disgust and keep walking. The company had the tree cut down.

Using my skills as a librarian and a daughter of the Internet-Information age, the only answer I could come up with was cankerworms. Several internet sources claim that the Spring variety will drop down from trees on silken threads (http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/cnkrworm.htm).

And yet Wikipedia has no such article on Spring Cankerworms. I feel as if I can't trust anything anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh please. There are other websites to find information on canker worms. LOOK.