Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"English" is a broad term

I went home this weekend, tagging along with the family to a few graduation parties of kids I knew in high school. The nature of our class was such that the core group of students in the AP classes were also involved in music. Our parents have been a tight bunch most of our 12-year gauntlet through the Altoona School District. All the kids know all the parents, and all the parents dote on all the kids. Let me assure you, a weekend of catching up with them is enough to satiate my appetite for a year.

The number one aspect of my life I had to defend? For some families/friends, it's the 'boyfriend' question. Nope, we're all too polite for that.

"So what are you studying?"
"English."
"Oh, ok. What do you want to do with that? Teach, or..."

And then they trail off because they can't think of anything else I could possibly use my major for. Let me ask you one thing: what can a physics, chemistry, or even biology major do with their major?! Nothing more than an English major can do, so stop thinking that science majors equate with post-graduation jobs!!!

The truth is that an English degree translates to a general 4-year degree. It most likely guarantees that you had a broad college education - which employers usually like. You can work practically anywhere with an English degree.

But that doesn't really matter. All people see just two possibilities: teach or write, and then they don't realize that there is no such thing as a full-time creative writer (save J.K. Rowling). I don't have the passion to exert all my attention on writing at the moment. And part of me feels like I'm selling out with the answer,

"Well, I think I eventually want to teach, either high school or college."

Which I do. However, the adult with whom I'm conversing then gets this satisfied, breathe-easy look on their face. I want to smack them, saying, "I COULD DO WHATEVER I WANTED TO IF I SO DESIRED!"

But that wouldn't go over very well, now would it?

No comments: